Ok, there were a few issues with the sprites in the demo release, so I decided to fix that, and use the update to tweak some other details too. Here's Metroid:Confrontation V1.1, with the following changes:
- Fixed collision on spazer beam room
- Fixed sprite glitch (samus invisible sprites)
- Added a lot more enemies, most for hard mode
- Fixed Kraid Spazer exlpoit
- Fixed Kraid nail not being hit by pseudo-screwattack
- Added Hornoad spit projectile
- Changed some enemies behavior on hard mode
- Fixed blocks with tiles becoming invisible when coming from map screen
- Added alternative way to exit the game (Alt+F4)
- Menu options can be selected with fire button too
- Fixed opening missile hatch without missiles
- Modified layout of the speed booster room
- Kraid platforms speed vaires depending on the difficulty
- Added extra health for bosses in hard mode
- Fixed intro effect happening when returning to the first room
So, if you wanted an extra challenge on hard mode, be sure to check this update up.
For those who haven't played the game yet, here's a trailer:
or find the map of the game(it's in the comments to the previous post).
Until next time,
Copypasted in a hurry I guess.
1. I still get no music.
2. I still get glitches every few seconds that make smooth play impossible.
This is such a great demo, such a great engine that I really hope these can be fixed! Thank you!
If you change them, change it to what they sound like in super metroid.
Now I can't wait to hear more about the actual game, though. I wanna see the new tiles and Metroid designs you're using for SR388 itself! ;P
1) It took me a half an hour to get thrugh it! It ran so slow on my computer. The game said that my time was 6:05:34
2) If you do shine spark upward at the part where your ship is, you keep going forever...
Just thought I'd let everybody know that.
Are you planning on making a trailer vid, for the alpha battle still? It's no big deal, but I'm just curious.
Also in terms of equipment for this game, I have a general understanding of all the items that you get. But have you considered inserting reserve energy tanks, like the ones in Super Metroid?
Amazing demo by the way. Hope to hear back from ya!
I agree with the others who say the Kraid fight is harder than the Ridley fight. If you can't add in tail swipes and such, try at least having him charge Samus once in a while (possibly after getting hit?)
I was also disappointed after each boss fight: no item. At the very least, an energy tank would have been cool.
Same thing with the ending: after killing the two bosses and lowering the two statues, I somehow expected one last fight (or at least one cool puzzle) before leaving. It felt a bit anti-climactic.
One last thing: I'm playing with an XBox360 controller, and I can't map the directions to the d-pad instead of the left stick. I know some people hate the 360 d-pad, and I agree it could be better, but it works well enough for Metroid-type games. Maybe the software you're using to make the game doesn't support extra axes or hat switches, but it's something worth looking into, don't you think?
Otherwise, this updated demo ran smoothly on my laptop, and played great.
If there's any way you could release a usable level editor, I'd love to play around with it and make some cool new runs.
screen I can't do anything there. It doesnt freeze because the music still plays and I can go to the F1 help. but its like the enter/start button stops working?
very confused and annoyed, please respond back.
The jumping is based off of Zero Missions, right? I kinda prefered SM's jumping, because you got more air-time. I find it more troublesome to jump now, where as in SM I spent alot of time jumping. :(
I had some trouble with Kraid, but in the end he wasn't too bad. I actually appreciate these custom versions of the bosses! The only thing I can say is that someone really oughta have Kraid move around more. He never seems to take advantage of his size.
My only other complaint was there wasn't a last boss fight. After the statues in the room, I was completely anticipating a boss fight, but there was only the ship, and I felt disappointed.
Other than that, I'm completely impressed by the demo, and I can honestly say that I haven't seen such a quality Metriod Fan Game before. I look forward to the main release!
Stop making him spend more time on a tech demo! I wanna see the real Metroid 2 remake finished here!
Still, amazing effort. I can't wait for the full game. I've played this 3-4 times since you released it.
As long as in the final game the bosses are not too easy. One of the greatest things in Metroid games are the bosses that make you almost shit yourself (remember the first time you encourtered Kraid in M3 ? =). It kind of ruins the whole thing if they can be beaten too easily (Ok Kraid was easy too if u had supermissiles).
I just finished playing Alien Vs Predator on Atari Jaguar emulator, and boy is that a hard game! But i dont even remember when was the last time i was screaming an swearing so much because of a video game. Nowadays games are too easy when you can save whenever you want (in AvP you can save whenever u want too, but loading makes all the enemies resurrect). Technical limitations back then made games difficult - and fun!
So, no easy bosses in the final game, plz! =)
This is suppose to be a demo, meaning its purpose is to simply give you an idea of what the remake would be like. In short, the demo is not a "piece" of the actual game.
If you actually took the liberty of reading what DoctorM64 (he's the creator) said before, neither Kraid nor Ridley will be in the remake since neither were present in Metroid 2. In short, all the complains about the shortcomings of those two bosses is MEANINGLESS.
I'm sure he appreciates everyone's comments (he's a really nice guy, no doubt), but if I were in his shoes, I'd be pretty offended if you (SOME people who posted comments) kept bitching w/o reading all the previous news posts. But then again, I'm an asshole.
I definitely need help optimizing the rout and boss fights before I try again though. Any ideas?
Can't wait for the full thing.
Played it with an Xbox 360 controller. In general it felt just like metroid and I was able to wall jump and do everything I'd expect to very naturally.
Kraid was definitely harder than Ridley, especially because you can blunder into him without the high jump (which makes him much easier).
But in general it was freaking awesome. Can't wait to see more :D
ME ACABAS DE ALEGRAR EL DÍA, LA SEMANA EL MES, Y SI ME APURAS EL AÑO!!!!
NO tenía ni idea de que había alguien en el planeta realizando este acto de placer para el resto de fans de Metroid en 2-D.
Llevo soñando con un remake de Metroid 2 desde que conozco su existencia.
No domino mucho inglés pero si piensas distribuirlo de alguna forma y no es mucho pedir mentenme informado de como conseguirlo en esta dirección
muchisimas gracias por tu trabajo
I remember being able to do that in Super Metroid.
Ha, other than that, I saw various other little tricks and things I could remember, and that's quite nice.
This looks like it could shape up pretty well.
1) High jump boots seem too high (at least to me anyway)
2) Pressing "up" while holding "angle look" doesn't let you look straight up
3) Shine-sparking from mid-air seem REALLY hard and appears to work at random (or maybe I'm doing it wrong :P).
4) The main menu selection highlighting is a little dark, so much so that when I have my monitor's brightness at 0 and contrast at 50 (easy on the eyes at night), I can't see what's highlighted.
5) POV on gamepads isn't supported
6) At least on my gamepad, assigning an action to buttons 1 or 2 on my gamepad doesn't work instantly and I have to press the button over and over again until it times out, but showing that it's been assigned. (doesn't happen with other buttons nor in other games). Anyone else have this issue?
7) Any chance for hq2x/hq3x/hq4x support?
It took way too many jumps to kill K-raid.
Am I the only one who feels this way?
anyone culd tell me please!!!!!
I have a suggestion, though. Could you put a option on the next version of the demo or in the complete game for controls like in Super Metroid? It's kinda hard to shoot missiles diagonally while moving with a keyboard, and sometimes the keyboard doesn't register 4 keys at the same time (aiming diagonally, missiles, fire and move). So instead of having to keep a button pressed to "activate" missiles, you just have to press it once to activate them and press it again to deactivate them, like in SM. All other options can remain the same, including the selection of super missiles. Hope it's not hard to do.
Keep up the good work!
three things i dont like about this demo (the rest is PERFECT!)
1. samus jumps wayy too high, and a little too fast as well. with all the ways we can reach high places, i dont need/want a rather exaggerated jump height compared to other metroid games that i'm so used to (i've beaten them all)
2. this one you should definatly fix (i'm guessing you will), the jump ball jumps the same height every time, no matter how long you hold the jump button. in zero mission you can do short jumps with it, so add that please.
3. i don't like the blue font you use when you get an item. thats the one thing that really gives it away that it is a fan made game. I really suggest you use the normal white font even if it doesnt look as cool, its just a metroid tradition.
also, the fall speed seems a little fast. in the first big drop after you get the missiles and the spider ball, samus went off-screen for a bit because she fell so fast. if youre going to keep those physics, at least make the screen follow her during a fall. i also agree with the guy who disliked the blue item font. other than that, though, the game looks and feels great.
La musica a la hora de la pelea con los jefes me encanto, como que transmite energia para ganar xD.
Lo unico que no me agrado fue la barra de vida de los jefes, me gusta mas que cambien de color y no saber cuando podras ganarles.
Mis mas grandes felicitaciones por tu trabajo y espero ver pronto la version final x3.
Saludos y hasta luego...
Loving your blog, awesome tips on this you have here. I
would just like to ask you some questions privately, mind
P.S. my email is email@example.com