I decided to redo the second ruins from scratch, since they were too close to the original map. I also planned some cool puzzles and scripted events to add some variety.
First, I´ll list some ideas I have about the design of the chozo ruins in the game.
All the ruins have these in common:
- There´s what it appears to be a Metroid breeding enviroment in every ruin, most of them under the main building.
- The ruins are inside a hughe cave, and you can explore the outside part of the building.
- There´s one beam upgrade and at least 1 item to find in these areas (the third ruins actually has 2 beam upgrades, but I´ll exchange it for another item).
- Only one ruin has a boss battle, the second one (Arachnus)
The first ruins.
They are almost at the same level of the planet surface, so I made it look like a temple. It has the golden tiles of MZM, and some statues on the roof. Outside, at the upper side of the cave, you can see some of the sky of SR388 (the ruins appear to be inside a mountain).
The second ruins.
In the original map there are some pipes connecting different parts of the building. There´s also water pools in some rooms, and an underground lake. You even fight a Metroid underwater! (water has no effect on Samus on the GB version).
So, I made this place look like a water treatment plant. Many pipes, and some water-involving puzzles will be between Samus and the items.
The third ruins.
I have no idea what this area could be. I still haven´t decided.
- In these ruins you get Spazer Beam and Space Jump.
- There are some areas with a lot of sand.
- The Metroid breeding area is under the building, and is made with plant tiles.
If you have any idea of what this place could have been when the Chozo were still on SR388, let me know.
The fourth ruins.
In this place you get all the beam upgrades. This tower like building could then be an armory or a weapons research facility. The corridors are heavily guarded by strong robot enemies.
This is the final area, with all the Omega Metroids and the Queen.
I´m still planning what tiles will be used here.
This will give you an idea of how different the areas will be. Unlike the original, you´ll be able to tell in which area of the game you are by just looking at a single game screen.
Right now I´m making some new puzzle elements to make some of the second ruins areas more varied, without breaking the pace.
I won´t be posting screenshots this time, since I´m also updating the tilesets color palettes. The original MZM tiles are too bright, since they were designed for a small LCD screen. Playing the game on a PC monitor lets you play with contrast and dark rooms, without losing sight of the main character. The game is now aiming to a more atmospheric visual style.
Hyrule_SwordsMan is drawing awesome enemies. I´m coding the AI as they come out of the oven. Almost all the enemies of the first area are done.
Anyway, if you have any suggestions about the Chozo ruins, let me know.