The project is becoming popular, I´m still shocked when people I know here in Buenos Aires ask me if I´m remaking Metroid 2. Here, GameBoys were rare back in the 90´s, but there´s people who know about the game and ask me about it. It might be beacuse I have an uncommon name. Who knows.
Anyway, there are comments everywhere. Half of them about cease & desist letters, the other half with questions or suggestions about the project. It would be tiresome to sign up on every forum and news site, so I bring you... AM2R FAQs: The questions that are made everywhere, answered here.
- When will the game be finished?
I don´t know. I hope to have some free time these months, it might be possible to finish it this year.
- I don´t like the AM2R name, will it change?
Yes, but the name is yet to be decided. Suggestions are welcome.
- Did you do ALL the programming by yourself?
No, I started with Martin Piecyk´s platform engine, and customized it to add all the Metroid abilities.
- Will you port the game to DS/PSP/Mac?
As long as Game Maker games can´t be compiled on other platforms than PC, no.
- Why don´t you code in C#? It´s better/more flexible/portable.
I´m not a programmer. I learned Game Maker the hard way: making unfinished games and looking at tutorials and examples. My code isn´t optimal, but I manage to get things done.
- Aren´t you the same DoctorM that remade Brutal Paws of Fury on MUGEN?
Yes. That was a long time ago, it was my first completed game. Too bad the MUGEN engine died before a Windows version became available. You can find the game here.
- I don´t like the keyboard layout of the tech demo
There will be customizable controls and joypad support in the final game.
- Did you make the tech demo music?
No. I got the main song from modarchive.com, the Ridley fight song is from an old Amiga Musicdisk, I can´t remember which one.
- I saw the YouTube trailer, where did you get that song?
- Do you really think Prince of Persia sucks?
No, It´s one of my favourite game sagas. That text was a placeholder, since I couldn´t remember the real powergrip description. I wrote that more in a "Take that, Prince of Persia!" way, believe me, it makes sense in spanish. Anyway, I thought I edited that part out, and it was already on YouTube when I realized the text was there.
- Is there going to be new bosses? space pirates? easter eggs?
There might be one or two bosses guarding the chozo ruins sections, I still have to decide it.
- Why did you make the game public so early? You´re gonna get a C&D from Nintendo!!!
I created this blog to share my design notes with other game designers, I didnt´t think the project would become so popular.
- Can I help?
I´ll be revising the enemy sprites soon, I´m gonna need help of good graphic artists.
My sprite sheets will be posted soon. Music will begin production once I have most of the game mapped. I´m waiting to actually play the sections that each song will represent to get the actual "feel" of the place. I´ll let you know whenever I need help.
- Are you gonna release the source code?
- Where´s the Donate button?
I have absolutely no idea how to make one.
Feel free to post any other questions.
On the next post, I´ll show you how to make a Metroid Style map system.