For example, I added the MorphBall. It´s simple, but it required the following items to work correctly:
- Change Samus´ collision so she is actually smaller and can fit small holes.
- Add a morph and unmorph animation.
- To morph correctly the crouch state change must be working, so you morph by double tapping Down.
- Rolling on the ground and falling in the air have different animations.
- Samus can morph and unmorph in the air. She also needs a double tap (one to aim down, one more to morph).
- Morphing or unmorphing in mid-air resets the speed.
- Whenever you unmorph you should check if there is enough room above to fit Samus.
- Falling from a determined height makes Samus bounce a bit.
- After unmorphing Samus goes to Crouching State, not Standing!
And this is just MorphBall. Other abilities are much more complex to implement properly. So AFTER checking everything I moved on to the next move.
Walljump! Actually it wasn´t hard to make.
PowerGrip was tricky, specially to align it right.
That´s 2 sprites, the legs and the torso (it changes depending on the aiming direction)
I struggled a lot to make the SpiderBall work.
ScrewAttack with some more eye candy.
SpeedBooster Test Levels were the best. I made some naughty shinespark puzzles.
The first beam, with all the aiming directions.
All of Samus´ abilities were done in about a month. I had plenty of free time back then, and I could work on the project many hours a day.
By this time I really thought the project could be finished in a couple of months, but life had different plans.