Samus Learns the Moves

By January of 2006 the project had the basics. It was time to add the signature abilities. Every time I added a new move, even basic stuff, I tested it. I made a test level for each one, so I could test the new ability in every possible situation. Once everything was working correctly, I compared it to the original games to do some fine tuning.

For example, I added the MorphBall. It´s simple, but it required the following items to work correctly:
  • Change Samus´ collision so she is actually smaller and can fit small holes.
  • Add a morph and unmorph animation.
  • To morph correctly the crouch state change must be working, so you morph by double tapping Down.
  • Rolling on the ground and falling in the air have different animations.
  • Samus can morph and unmorph in the air. She also needs a double tap (one to aim down, one more to morph).
  • Morphing or unmorphing in mid-air resets the speed.
  • Whenever you unmorph you should check if there is enough room above to fit Samus.
  • Falling from a determined height makes Samus bounce a bit.
  • After unmorphing Samus goes to Crouching State, not Standing!

And this is just MorphBall. Other abilities are much more complex to implement properly. So AFTER checking everything I moved on to the next move.

Walljump! Actually it wasn´t hard to make.

PowerGrip was tricky, specially to align it right.

That´s 2 sprites, the legs and the torso (it changes depending on the aiming direction)

I struggled a lot to make the SpiderBall work.

ScrewAttack with some more eye candy.

SpeedBooster Test Levels were the best. I made some naughty shinespark puzzles.

The first beam, with all the aiming directions.


BombJumping! And that´s the first tileset I ripped.

All of Samus´ abilities were done in about a month. I had plenty of free time back then, and I could work on the project many hours a day.
By this time I really thought the project could be finished in a couple of months, but life had different plans.

Comments

Fortress said…
Interesting blog, good job.
Anonymous said…
Just wanted to let you know that this project looks VERY cool, and I wish you luck!
Anonymous said…
WOW!

Metroid II was my very first video game!

You are incredibly talented. I wish you the greatest luck in this and I hope it all goes smoothly!
Seriously crazy man, I'm very interested in this little project. Good luck!
Unknown said…
I like how professional you are, especially in not announcing until way after you started unlike some inexperienced game makers who don't realize the hardship of actually completing a game.
Anonymous said…
This is very interesting.
Vasa said…
Thanks for sharing this! I’m delighted with this information, where such important moments are captured. All the best!

Popular posts from this blog

Skippy's 1st Anniversary!

The future of AM2R

No future for AM2R